Sunday, February 24, 2008

spring cleaning came early


So the room switch has happened and then gone back to normal. I decided about half way through unloading my room that rearranging the furniture to a configuration that would be livable was not going to happen based on the size of my room. So I decided it would be more amusing to set up a modern art inspired installation that could sit at MOMA and people would ponder for hours what the significance of a stack of empty Shredded Wheat boxes beasted by a Grape Nuts box is. My roommates and I came up with various different anecdotes the winning one being:

The installation captures natures constant battle with confinement and metallic urban sprawl. This parallels a persons struggle living within the city which makes the bedroom location extremely profound. The reflection of consumerism outside natures barren cell suggests consumerism is mocking nature in triumphant but has a darker insecure side that is reflected. The mattresses against the wall conclude we are all living in an insane asylum and are a node to padded walls.
I think we are on to something here.....

But overall I actually really enjoyed this project....I think mostly because it gave me a chance to clean my room which brings me great joy. Although finding a cockroach was less then ideal and I will admit I freaked out for a good ten minutes!

I found this to be very therapeutic in a way. And while I put my room back exactly how it was before it was really nice to have to go through everything and clean and trash things. My room feels lighter now.

No comments: