Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Kabakov and the Antenna



I'm kinda in love with this installation. Grass laying is by far one of my favorite past time and some of my life's best moments have happened laying in the grass on a sunny day watching the clouds go by.

This installation is of an Antenna. In between the antenna wires are the words,

"My Dear One! When you are lying in the grass, with your head thrown back, there is no one around you, and only the sound of the wind can be heard and you look up into the open sky --there, up above, is the blue sky and the clouds floating by--perhaps this is the very best thing that you have ever done or seen in your life."

In the explanation of the piece the words are supposed to glitter in the sun similar to a spiders web when the sun hits its silky threads. I can picture this clearly and it sounds quite beautiful. I like the play on nature vs. man made structures and how a man made structure like the antenna interrupts the skyline but then tries to make up for it by imitating nature. Like spider webs that cannot be seen well without light reflecting off it, I imagine the words in between the antenna's wires cannot be seen well if the sun isn't hitting them just right. It's almost a secret that only those who are patient enough can share in and enjoy.

An antenna is an icon of modern communication except this one is in the middle of nature and is designed to "speak" to one person and one person only, the grass layer. I love this twist on communication and makes me think that even though we are all connected by the Internet, cell phones, satellites, antennas etc. when I'm on my phone or on my computer I feel like it's just me talking to one other person, maybe two if I'm "gchatting" but either way it's an extremely personal thing.

I really wish Spring would hurry up, I miss grass.

No comments: