Sunday, May 4, 2008

Writing Postcards in Astor Place

Approaching New Yorkers with a clipboard and a smile......if New Yorkers have accomplished anything it's the art of ignoring the clipboard people! I became one of the clipboard people and got ignored, a lot! I approached New Yorkers as the worked, sat, talked with friends, waited for the walking man light, and drank coffee in Astor Place. My method was simple. I approached people who looked friendly, people who weren't carrying a lot of things and people who didn't look like they were in a rush.
My line: "Would you like to send a postcard to anyone in the world for free" I tired out a variety of opening lines and this was the one that got the most takers. I then went on to explain the project and that if they wanted to write a postcard I would drop it in the mail for them. I think I approached 100 people and got 45 postcards which I feel is pretty good. Of those who wrote cards they thought it was great and not to give myself too much credit, I think I made some peoples days. For those who said no, some were polite, others, well just downright mean. I got quite a few "No, I would NOT like to do that." Polite but also a bit harsh. Most of the postcards are staying in the country but one is going to Taiwan and the other is on its way to Portugal. A lot more people would have written internationally but they didn't know the address of the top of their head. These postcards are another 45 reasons why I love New York and the people who will stop for the clipboard people!

No comments: